Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Eastward Bound...Day One.

Up at 4 AM and on the road within an hour. It was still dark when we crossed the new Benicia Bridge, which is quite an improvement and about time. I tried to do some work while Eddy drove, but my hopes of being "mobile and connected" were dashed on the rocks, sand, and no-service areas of the California and Nevada deserts. I managed to retrieve my email around Reno, but due to the awful condition of Cali highways (once the envy of the Western world) I had to do it while sitting on the floor. I gave up in Winnemucca, and we decided to push on to Elko, Nevada, where the KOA camp promised WiFi.

We chose to turn off the GPS at one point...thinking, "How hard can this be?" and then missed a couple of turns. Nevertheless, we traveled almost 600 miles in 8 hours. Not bad for a big rig and tow car. The speed limit in Nevada is plain 75...no posted limits for trucks or vehicles towing a trailer or car. There are also no signs warning of radar patrol, so when Eddy said the speedometer was pegged at 85 going down the grade I just shut up and checked my seat belt.

Elko is still rather frontier-like and boasts some interesting retro signage. It is also clear that school is back in session...very few families on the road. The Iron Horse RV park is pretty empty...mostly the AARP crowd, which is fine with me.

I finally got online and did some work this evening while Ed read and rested. Tomorrow we will pass through Salt Lake City, pass the Grand Tetons, and "come in" somewhere in Wyoming.

As for the AARP Traveler bit…who knew how much fun it could be!

Hasta pronto!

8 comments:

Renee said...

So.... when do you think you'll be in Virgina??? Are you gonna come see me??? I MISS YOU!!!!!!!

Ur Ya-Ya,
Renee

Midger said...

I am so jealous of your cross-country adventure. Hope you guys have a blast. Stop in Philly for a martini!

Anonymous said...

I wanna visit too! Sounds like fun...even the bumps! Don't forget to visit the Ozarks for some homemade Moonshine!! LOL! Ok...maybe we can do dinner!

Lindi said...

Quit worrying about work, and look out your windows, I don't want you to miss anything......Lindi

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT ALL!!! YOU are GREAT...KEEP THE WHEELS ROLLING>>>I AM GOING TO SEE YOU WHEN YOU GET BACK < CAN"T MISS THESE STORIES!!!!!!

Love you,
Jeannie...yes, Jeannie:)

Anonymous said...

Oop, guess, I'm no longer anonymous!

Unknown said...

Hola chiquillos: estoy con ustedes. {vicariously, as always}, que lo sigan pasando lindo. Lidya

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lindi ... put away the laptop and look out the dammed window!
renee claire