Yesterday we crossed the Continental Divide. Not having studied geography in more years than I care to mention, I got out the Almanac that Eddy keeps in the rig for his daily crossword puzzles, and refreshed my memory. That led to some amusing challenges and games….such as “Name That State’s Nickname”, and “What Famous Person Was Born in Nebraska?”
So, we left the Cowboy State of Wyoming and entered the Corn Husker State of Nebraska (birthplace of Johnny Carson, Marlon Brando and Dick Cheney, to name a few). Last night we pulled into a KOA campground in Gothenburg, NE. Named for the Swedish city by Swedish settlers, it offers lots of interesting sites, and I wish we had time to stay and explore. There is an old Swedish village, the Pony Express Station, the Sod House Museum, and Buffalo Bill Cody’s Ranch. What I am most disappointed about, however, is not having time to play a round at Wild Horse Golf Course.
The campground is owned by a British couple, and the camp store is stocked with lovely biscuits, teas, lemon curd and marmalades. I also found Bird’s Custard in a tin…de rigueur for making English Trifle!
Today we are on our way to the Hawkeye State of Iowa. We are now more than halfway across the U.S. and everything has begun to look more “eastern” to us. It rained a bit this morning and we are seeing more and more green. Yes, Nebraska, it is a good life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sounds like you're having a grand time! Are you keeping a list of the golf courses you need to go back to? LOL
See you in a week!!! YAY!!!
Renee
Post a Comment