Friday, September 21, 2007

My Lucy Moment

I found this YouTube video weeks ago (BTW…if your company network blocks video downloads you might forward it to home…it’s a classic). Anyway, I was waiting for an appropriate moment to post it and, by golly, on Monday I had my “Lucy Moment”. I am only writing about it now because it didn’t turn out to be as awful or embarrassing as it could have been.

My ‘Sconsin girlfriends and I have a running joke about how many ribs we’ve all broken in the course of our fun-filled adventures, and I nearly took the lead again this time. Over the past couple of weeks I have gained my RV legs and am able to move through the motor home and get sodas, sandwiches, go potty or fetch a book while Eddy drives.

I’ve had a couple of minor mishaps…a beer bottle fell out of the fridge, not once but three times before it finally blew up. Another time I caught a cottage cheese container moments before it crashed to the floor. So I’ve become very careful about stowing and securing; but on Monday I forgot to lock the plate holders in the china cabinet when we embarked.

Several hours later, we were traveling a very bumpy road when I heard an ominous rattle from the rear and remembered the plate holders. Without thinking, I jumped up as if I were in my living room and headed quickly for the kitchen. At about the same time a car suddenly veered in front of us to make the exit ahead. Ed had to slam on the brakes and swerve to avoid an accident and I found myself lurching, falling and landing with my back against the computer desk.

I was sure I had cracked a rib. For those of you who remember my fall from the zip line a few years ago, you know I KNOW what rib fractures feel like. Worse than the pain, however, is the feeling of foolishness. What was I THINKING?

The good news is that I went to the doc on Tuesday for x-rays and I have only bruised ribs and muscle spasms. He gave me some pain meds and I’m just taking things a little slower…which is what one SHOULD do on vacation, right?

WAAAAH…Rickyyyyy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are ok!! Take care to take care and keep caring to care about yourself. hee-hee have a wonderful healing with lots of hot toddies. Michaela

Chuck said...

Ouch! Get better soon so you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

Love the video. One of my favorite movies.

Unknown said...

Crack me up (har har!) I just love that movie!!! Lucy is one of my favs! You should have known you wouldn't get through a trip unscathed! You klutz!!! I hope you mend well!! Another lesson learned! Don't you know that God is up in heaven shaking his head at you and saying, "Lisa, Lisa, Lisa....when will you ever learn!!!!"
Bren

Sandra La Flair said...

OMG....I'm so glad that you are OK!

I have always loved the longest trailer....great movie.

Take it slow.....Sandy