Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Abilene, Abilene, prettiest town I've ever seen.

Well, not really, but I haven’t been this happy to arrive at a KOA Kampground...EVER! Ghastly humidity, temperatures hovering near the hundred mark, sun beating through the windshield as we drove west, and the monotonous Texas highway views made today an 8-hour slog. We did get a bit of a reprieve around 5:00 pm, when it started to rain and within an hour the temperature dropped about 18 degrees…to a mere 81 degrees F.

We pulled into Abilene around 6:00 and repeated yesterday’s ritual of cold showers and cold beers, and then I went to work on a project that is due yesterday. Eddy is in the process of making fried chicken for dinner, and I am ready to eat and sack out with the AC on full blast.

Tomorrow we head for Las Cruces, New Mexico….passing Midland, Odessa and El Paso. We’ve been amusing ourselves by singing songs about the cities we pass that have been immortalized by country western music and da blues. My smartphone has come in handy…I can google lyrics from the passenger seat!

Eddy is driving hard…500 miles and 8 hours a day…to get to Casa Grande, Arizona. We’ll spend a few days with friends Tommy and June at an RV resort there…playing golf, swimming and relaxing before we head home. I’m looking forward to DRY HEAT!

No comments: