Thursday, March 26, 2009

Champagne Golf

Our caddy and cart boys were amusing and gracious! Click on photo to enlarge and see cigars and champagne!

The Men’s Group at the Motorcoach Country Club plays host to the Ladies’ Group every spring…complete with Mimosas, Bloody Marys, beer, iced tea or bottled water at every other hole, and caters a luncheon and prize presentation after the game. The Ladies’ Tournament also includes caddies and “cart boys”… the husbands of the ladies in the field.

Our caddies fetched errant balls (numerous), coached us on the tee (they love to do that, don’t they?) marked best balls, lined up our putts, and cleaned our clubs while the cart boys served us drinks. Unfortunately, June and I picked cards for different groups, but Gail and I both pulled the number 9, along with Deborah…whose go-to-club is a 9 iron. Christy, the hostess of the after-tournament party, showed up late and moved to our team on the second hole. It was magic!

There were 39 players in today’s scramble. We didn’t win, but we all had great fun and everyone in our group had a few bravo/high five shots. Thanks to Gail, who hit her first shot to just off the green and then chipped it in for a birdie on our first hole, we started off confidently.
Deborah’s 9-iron then found the green consistently for a run of pars, and I made a natural sandy par on one hole, thanks to our caddy who told me to PUTT it out of the bunker, over a hill and straight to the pin...and by golly it worked! Christy left us a couple of makeable shots from unlikely positions, and also saved us with a couple of remarkable clutch putts.

Okay…I know I’m boring the non-golfers in my audience, but this is a chronicle, right?

Our caddies, Joe and Gary, were instructive, patient and amusing and seemed to have a good time playing girl-golf with us, and the cart boys kept the cool drinks flowing until we finished up and got to Christy and Jerry’s lot overlooking the waterway for more refreshments, lunch and prizes.

I managed to take a few pictures of the shotgun start, a few of the picturesque holes, and the after-party, but for the most part I just tried to PLAY…which is what I came here to do! Photos are in album at right titled Champagne Golf, or you can simply click here. Again, best view is full screen, slide show.

BTW… June reached the green on the first six holes. It must be the Pilates, girlfriend! Wish I could have seen those!

Hasta pronto!

No comments: