Thursday, October 15, 2009

Back in Cali!


Mount Shasta got a dusting of snow this week!

Despite numerous changes of plans, a flare-up of my pinched nerve, missed visits to old friends and favorite sites…not to mention the electrical dramas experienced by La Casita on this trip…it has been yet another lovely adventure.

Watching so many “top dogs” perform at the Basset Hound Club of America Nationals, and meeting so many of their devoted owners was an excellent experience. Jim and Sharon Dok, who bred our girls, gave us lots of good advice on their care and feeding. In fact, the girls all got their Ear Magic treatment (and a treat) just moments ago!

Nancy Ingram, prior owner of Piper, also encouraged us to put her back into Field Trial competition. Nancy said that when she ran Piper as a youngster that she was a “natural”, and even introduced me, via email, to the president of the Northern California Basset Club that organizes those events.

So...I am beginning to envision myself in trousers, hiking boots, a battered fedora and one of those vests with lots of pockets, walking through the fields with a pack of hounds, crying “Tally Ho!"

Another highlight of this month-long trip has been getting to know my powerful new computer that John built and configured for me…he actually hated to see it leave his lab! It’s big, it’s blazing, and it automatically synchs with my laptop before and after I travel.

I spent the last two days with John learning new routines, locating files, changing my email application from Eudora (to which I’ve clung for the past 15 years) to MS Outlook. Last night he packed up THE MONSTER, Eddie put it in the basement of the rig, and we are carrying it home. We celebrated and said goodbye to John and Jan with Margaritas and Mexican food at El Paraiso in Canyonville, where the chef always brings me a couple of KILLER pan-fried jalapenos that make me WEEP!

This morning we pulled out of 7 Feathers RV Resort at 9 am and at 2:30 pm arrived at Almond Tree RV Park in Chico. We drove through a bit of rain and noted happily that Mount Shasta had received a dusting of snow since we drove north a few weeks ago. The dam is still alarmingly low and as we passed through the area I prayed for a long, rainy winter…California needs it so badly!

Tomorrow my schedule is to do a little work in the morning, babysit Lila Blue in the afternoon, complete Step 1 of her Pastel de Tres Leches birthday cake, and find out how I can help Mari prepare and get ready for this fabulous two-day celebration of the Little Sweet Potato’s first birthday. So…I guess as they say, I should “hit the hay”.

Hasta pronto!

No comments: